duminică, 7 aprilie 2013

One week without telephone

While  changing jobs I had to give up the company telephone and since I do not own a personal phone anymore, I had to wait for the new number. I could have taken the number with me, but do not care about telephone numbers since in the past I lost my agenda several times.

What did I loose: the urge of recency. Of course I was not pressured by anything, but still, I was constantly online to find out what's new, who's meeting who, thoughts of friends and thoughts of certain online publisher or bloggers. I lost it and enjoyed a magazine. I red Zeppelin's March Edition and Dilema's Veche last week newspaper. Enjoyed the magazine paper, the print design and colors.

What did I gained: my own thoughts. I often look at people in pubs or restaurants and disregard their autistic behavior of constantly checking the phone, as I am also autistic when with a smart phone in hand. Loosing the smart phone, I lost the need of checking my accounts every hour or even sooner. I had several other devices to be connected to the "world", but my device was missing. When with friends or family, I often leave the telephone aside, but also consciously sometimes I ignore conversation because I want to see/ read something else. This time I was forced to be present and to actively participate to conversation or I had the time to be only with my thoughts.

What I wish: tablet and normal phone. I really believe that accessing online by tablet will diminish the recency urge, specially in those moments when you need to be present and not just physically, while the phone will keep you connected for urgent or pleasant talks. Also, it is very difficult to pull out from your jeans pocket an ipad, even the mini version.

Un comentariu:

Anonim spunea...

Having read this I thought it was extremely informative.
I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this article together.

I once again find myself spending a lot of
time both reading and commenting. But so what,
it was still worth it!

Feel free to visit my weblog; bmi calculations